11/30 Greater Brunswick Area Maine AllCare
5:30 – 7 PM, Unitarian Universalist Church, Brunswick, Maine
Attending: Bill Clark, Jean Sawyer, Virginia Derr, Bill Eaton, Gail Eaton, , Peter McGuire, Debbie Brisbois, Will Neilson, Dan Leaver
Minutes: Jean Sawyer
Introductions made, minutes approved, agenda adjusted.
- Progress on MCC 2017 goals, since our last meeting 10/26.
- Sign up partners –– aim for 40. Since last meeting — Gail and Bill signed up Annabella’s Bakery & Care – Richmond, New England Fitness,, Gulf Maine; Bill signed up Indrani’s, Wyler’s, Vynal Haven, Union St. Bakery. Will N has lines out to several in Bath; and Bill and Gail have lines out in Bruns/Topsham.
- Arrange events– 7 by year end -.
- “Big Pharma” on 12/4 at Curtis Library
- Bill and Virginia met with Jeremy and Meredith (the Bowdoin students who attended last meeting) and will meet again on 12/12 to begin planning a Bowdoin event
- Find supporters. 1000 by year end
- Election day results!!- 10000 or so new supporters many signed up by MCC members.
- House Party. Marla, Wendy, Virginia report about 15 in attendance. Good session.
- Fund raising and donations.
- Phone-banking on # Giving Tues. Bill/ Virginia/ Chris/ Abbie and others in Portland and Downeast Chapters raised over $5000, which was matched by generous donor recruited by Beth F.
- Chris and Abbie filled out their contracts beautifully, in committed and expert fashion, finishing on Nov 30. We hope to raise funds to rehire them in the spring if they are available then.
- Events of interest:
- Frederick will give talk on messaging for Sagadahoc Indivisible Thursday 12/6 in Bath.
- Our Healthcare is a Human Right Coalition (with Nurses and Workers) is making plans for a Candidate Forum in February ( to ask candidates’ views on UHC/SP for Maine) and a meeting of reps from the HCHR Endorsing organizations to keep them informed and involved as we move forward.
- Messaging: the MAC Board’s messaging writing group reports next week, and Bill will bring news at next MCC meeting in Jan
- ACTION ITEMS:
- PARTNERING Virginia will follow up with the Presbyterian Church in Topsham
- Events: Looking forward to Curtis Mem Lib for 12/4.
- Please volunteer to spearhead an event effort: find a venue and date!!
- Please volunteer To organize a house party (good in winter!!) Contact MARLA Davis, who will help you get going
- We’ve not heard more on the following item from the Sept mtg: One attendee from Julie’s 10/18 HP plans to host party in Portland ?name
- Bill and Virginia will meet again with Jeremy and Meredith.
- Will Neilson will follow up with Grace Episcopal in Bath
- Fund raising: just so you all have info on how to set up your own page- here is the info from last mtg: For P2P fundraising go to: https://www.classy.org/campaign/Healthcare-for-All-Maine/c138689
Just click to become a fundraiser
Set up your own page: with name, email; OR connect via Facebook if you prefer
Set a fundraising goal (Bill’s is $400)
Set a password “Easy as 1,2,3!” Bryan says
- In case you missed the great video (only 10’) from last mtg, here is the link: Youtube at Sweden US Healthcare
Next meeting: at 5:30 PM at the UUCB January 25, 2018. – no meeting in December.