- Physicians for a National Health Program
- The Kaiser Family Foundation
- The Commonwealth Fund
- California One Care
- California Nurses Association
- Vermont Single Payer
- Massachusetts Single Payer
- Maine AllCare brochure
Please click on the photo above to download a PDF file of our brochure which explains how Maine can have health care for everyone for less than what we're paying today.
Editor's Note: If there is an area of agreement among most Americans about our health care system today, it is about its complexity. In order to improve it, citizens must develop some level of understanding of how the system operates – or doesn't, depending on your perspective – and who the key players are. We have received suggestions from a number of experts and pulled together a Reading List that will help educate people interested in making health care universally accessible, affordable and effective.
- American Health Care System
- Paul Starr - The Social Transformation of American Medicine – 1984
- Arnold Relman - A Second Opinion – 2007
- Maggie Mahar - Money-driven Medicine – 2006
- Susan Starr Sered and Rushika Fernandopulle - Uninsured in America - 2006
- Philip Bredesen - Fresh Medicine –– 2010
- Barlett and Steele - Critical Condition: How Health Care in America Became Big Business – and Bad Medicine - 2005
- Jonathan Cohn – The Untold Story of American’s Health Care Crisis – Reed-Elsevier – April, 2007
- David Cutler – Your Money or Your Life: Strong Medicine for America’s Health Care System – Oxford University Press – 2004
- Getting Health Reform Right: A Guide to Improving Performance and Equity - Marc Roberts, William Hsiao, Peter Berman and Michael Reich - 2008
- Pickett and Wilkenson - The Spirit Level – Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger – 2009
- Blumenthal and Morone - The Heart of Power - University of California Press - 2009
- Wendell Potter - Deadly Spin - 2010
- T.R. Reid – The Healing of America - 2010
- Altman and Schactman - Power, Politics and Universal Health Care - Prometheus - 2011
- Jacobs and Skocpol - Health Care Reform and American Politics - Oxford U. Press - 2012
- Stiglitz - The Economists Voice 2.0: The FInancial Crisis, Health Care Reform, and More - Columbia U. Press - 2012
- Bernard Lown - The Lost Art of Healing –1999
- Shannon Brownlee - Overtreated – 2007
- Gibson and Singh - The Treatment Trap - 2010
- Otis Webb Brawley and Paul Goldberg - How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America - 2012
- Jerry Avorn – Powerful Medicines – 2004
- Marcia Angell - The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It-– 2005
- Jerry Kassirer - On The Take – 2005
- Jacky Law – Big Pharma: Exposing the Global Healthcare Agenda – Avalon – 2006
- John Abramson - Overdosed America – 2008
- Melody Peterson - Our Daily Meds – 2009
- Aaron E. Carroll, MD, MS, 5 Myths About Canada’s Health Care System: the truth may surprise you about international health care.
- Gerald Friedman, Funding a national single-payer system: “Medicare for all” would save billions and could be redistributive.
- William Hsiao, State-Based Single Payer Health Care: A Solution for the United States?
- William Hsiao et al, What Other States Can Learn From Vermont’s Bold Experiment: Embracing a Single-Payer Health Care Financing System
- Stephen Kemble, Why Competition Among Health Plans Can’t Help Us
- Donald Light, A Conservative Call For Universal Access To Health Care
- Bernard Lown, The Social Responsibility of Physicians
- Rob Stone, Health Care Vs. Wealth Care: Investors with a Conscience Should Divest from Health Insurance Companies
- Physicians for a National Health Program: Frequently Asked Questions about single-payer
- Financing single-payer national health insurance: Myths and facts
Maine Articles on Health Care Reform
- Maine AllCare Brochure
- PNHP web page devoted to single payer news in Maine. This page is updated weekly.
- Philip Caper, The Ills of Money-Driven Medicine
- Philip Caper, Massachusetts leads on health care while Maine regresses
- Alice Knapp, Health care is a basic human right; access to it is a moral issue
- Alice Knapp, Health Care Reform: Is it fair? A critique of the Affordable Care Act and a proposal for Maine
- Julie Pease et al, Every person deserves access to health care
Videos and Movies
Margaret Flowers speaking at Portland Public Library, May 10, 2011 (15 minutes)
The right way to spend on healthcare Amitabh Chandra (TED-Cambridge talk - 13 minutes)
What a Single Payer Health Insurance Plan Looks Like (video 38 minutes) A three-part interview with economist Dr. Gerald Friedman on how a single-payer plan in Maryland would cover everyone, improve outcomes and make business more competitive.
Sick Around the World (video 56 minutes) TR Reid
- The Good News (video - 53 minutes) TR Reid
- Got Healthcare? 65 doctors, nurses and informed activists in an unusual stream of conversation documentary film.
- SICKO - Michael Moore (2007) Still the authoritative movie about the ills of the American system.
- The HEALTHCARE Movie. Documentary explores the history and differences between US and Canada.
- Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Health Care. In theaters and on iTunes October 2012.
- The Waiting Room. Follow the life and times of patients and caregivers in a public hospital in CA.
- Money and Medicine - PBS - Money drives much of medical decision-making