DEC 14 2017 Ellsworth-MDI Minutes

MAC Meeting 12/14/17 Ellsworth City Hall 3:30-5pm

Ellsworth/MDI

Present: Jim Mroch, Jean Rohrer, Susanne Forest, Harold McWilliams, Marilyn McWilliams,
Sam Bergman, Valerie Dornan, Bruce Becque, Holly Duesenberry

Gail Eaton should get a copy of meeting notes and Marilyn McWilliams

UUC Meeting Jan 26 House Party Snow date Feb 2nd

Marilyn updates from board

She can help us authorize new people to enter data into Nationbuilder
If you get a duplicate entry, double check all the info from both cards in is entered
Wants to have all cards entered into nation builder by end of February
Valerie is entering data
Holly offered to enter data
We could have a data entry party at a library, etc. where there are computers

Marilyn can show Bruce how to contact people who have checked off that they want to join a
local chapter

Board thinks we need to hire an Executive Director, as an employee before rehiring field
workers.
We only hired Chris and Abbie for 6 months. They are willing to come back.

We will go to snail mail communications and try to recruit monthly donations

Retreat was held to talk about messaging retreat to make sure everyone is on same page
Subcommittee came out of that retreat
They have submitted to board for approval 9 principles for mission statement for approval Jan 4th
They did role play to simulate how to answer questions from the public
One person is working on mathematical formula
Gerald Freeman (from Mass) may work on this from us
Should it be a graduated tax, flat tax, should Corporations contribute?

The Scones Group met in Portland at USM diverse group
Phil Caper say call it taxes In England is it called the National Insurance Contribution

There is a waiver so that certain Federal Programs the money that would go to VA, Indian
Health Service, etc would go to state so everyone could be under one single same system

More to come on mission and policy

We went from 3000 supporters to 23,000 in this year and from 3 chapters to 10

What is happening in other states

Wa, Ca, Pa, Co, Ma trying

“Now is the time” shows in credits the states that have tried

If Bernie’s plan 676 passed would be the best not likely so will have to be state by state

Waits Marilyn spoke of someone who has a condition put through by PCP as urgent patient iAppointment is going to be in APRIL 18

how about people here who are denied care/treatment out right NO WAIT time just denial

someone else applied in April has appointment in January.
———————
Task Force has been formed

Dems named their legislators right off

Michael Thibodeau has finally named his legislators

First meeting 9:300-12:30 room 220 Cross State Office Building Augusta
IFS COMMITTEE ROOM
1st of four meetings

WE NEED TO MAKE A PRESENCE; WEAR YOUR BUTTON
PLEASE TELL BRUCE IF YOU ARE GOING

SENATOR GRATWICK DOES NOT THINK THIS WILL BE THE FINAL DRIVE FOR
UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IN MAINE IT WILL BE PART OF THE PROCESS

Marilyn is going to send us the computer template for announcing film showings at House
Parties.
————————————-
Discussion about House Parties we gave

Jean pleased at number of people who came to SouthWest
Good that we went to boost numbers of attendance… good turnout of chapter members.

Bruce might want say at every house party “We don’t have all the answers. We are here to recruit you’

Circulate clip boards so people can sign up while they are listening

Continuing question how to reach those not in Choir

Chuck Radis from Peaks Island goes to all Rotary Clubs to recruit non choir

Blue Hill has joined Chamber of Commerce
————————-
We have date for late February with Ellsworth Rotary

Sullivan Rec Center library Feb 12th House Party

St Dunstan in spring (Jean is contact)

MAC website has resources at top showing URLs for some of the movies.

We can all use all the movies all the time because we have licenses for them

Now Is The Time is better is the 60 minute version.

Show the short version of The Healthcare Movie
——————————————————————————————-
House Parties in UCC and Sullivan we are showing Fixit

UUC will provide coffee and snacks if we bring snacks
have allotted 5:30-8:30 presentation starts at 6pm
back pedal donation push at first meetings

they have AV equipment
Bruce can go in advance and get instructions or contact AV person directly

for ~ 30 people
Jean cheese and crackers
Valerie Cider
Bruce brownies
Holly Cider
Bruce paper plates
Any other people want to offer snacks/come?

Start talk by asking people how they hear about meeting

posters don’t seem to work that much
FB is good
Bruce is going to do FB event

Holly will do newspapers and radio mid-January

Sullivan Holly will confirm Sullivan date and ask about audiovisual

Kathleen Kotas wants materials to disseminate but too busy to get to all meetings

COA Bruce is going to contact them via Lynn Cheney

Valerie will do press release in advance (see Joe Lendvai)

Next meeting Jan 18 3:30-5pm Town Hall (to be confirmed)